Cheap Tasty Tours – SXSW 2009 Edition
Smart marketing by the folks at Yelp — they asked their advertisers to provide one or more menu items for half price in exchange for some advertising to hungry SXSW-goers. It’s a great idea that promotes Yelp, promotes the businesses, and feeds the masses without breaking the bank. Click the ad below for more details on the deals:
The South Lamar Sushi and Wine Tour
- $5 glass of wine at House Wine + the 1/2 price two cheese plate ($6.50)
- Walk over to Paggi House for the big eye tuna tartar ($7.00)
- Head up to Uchi to close out the tasting for their famous Shag Roll ($7.00)
The South Congress Mighty Cone and South Congress Cafe Tour
- The Hudson’s on the Bend hot and crunchy chicken cones loved so much by Austin City Limits Festival veterans will be available starting Friday, March 13 (note new date) at the Mighty Cone trailer at Monroe Street, next to Hey Cupcake. Featuring tortillas loaded with chicken, shrimp or avocado battered with almonds, sesame seeds, corn flakes, chili flakes and sugar and lightly fried, the cones will go for less than $10 (not a Yelp deal).
- While South Congress Cafe is participating in the Yelp 1/2 deal, the menu has not yet been revealed so check the Web Site regularly for updates. However, South Congress Cafe serves the BEST bloody mary in town served in cool glassware. Happy hour is from 2 p.m. – 7 p.m. seven days a week and feature $3.50 margaritas, mojitos, draft beer, and imported bottled beer. Domestic beer is $3.
2nd Street District Wine, Pizza and Gelato Tasty Tour
- Start off at Taste, located on the corner of Cesar Chavez and Colorado, for $4 carpaccio and a glass of house wine for only $3.50.
- Walk around the corner to Taverna on 2nd Street, for a Margherita Pizza at $5.
- Top the meal off with a small Affogato al Caffe from Paciugo Gelato across the street – 2 scoops of gelato melting in a shot of espresso at just $2.65.
South First Empanadas y Cupcakes Tasty Tour
- Buenos Aires Cafe, just south of Oltorf on S. 1st, is offering a Yelp SXSW deal of any flavor empanada for only $1.25.
- After filling your belly with beef, chicken, or vegetarian treats, head down to S. 1st and Mary for a black & tan cupcake for only $1.25 from Sugar Mama’s Bakeshop, the best cupcake purveyor in town (Another pairing before the cupcake could be the Mighty Cone — located in walking distance from S. Congress)
Today I didn’t bring enough food for lunch so decided to give mmmpanadas a try — this truck is parked at 5th and Brazos most days and is around the corner from my work at 6th and Congress. It’s the perfect setup for SXSW and is locally owned by two young folks that love food and travel. They offer sweet and savory empanadas for $3.25.
Perfect for a snack but if you are hungry for a meal, you should probably go for the two empanadas and a drink for $7.50. Compared to the deals above, mmmpanadas is a bit pricey but based on the location and the great flavor of the fillings, the cost is mostly justified.
I grabbed a green chile chicken empanada served with chipotle sauce and ate it while running errands. It was easy to handle and with only a small paper bag, there isn’t much waste. The best part of mmmpanadas is that it’s quick, fast, hot and delicious — what more could you ask for during SXSW when running from one venue to the next?
UPDATE: Have an iPhone? If so, you might download Razorfish’s guide to SXSW. Even if you don’t, check out their solid restaurant recs online (click the restaurants tab).Tags: 2nd Street, mmmpanadas, south congress, south first, south lamar, SXSW, yelp